Sunday 9 December 2012


Regular blood donor loves to save lives but must now save his own

Resource: The Star online. Posted on November 30, 2011, Wednesday
 
KUCHING: Redzuan Su’ut feels blue as he watches some 300 people donating blood at his workplace in Sarawak Economic Development Corporation (SEDC).

A regular blood donor since 1984, the 54-year-old man has been advised to stop donating blood since three years ago after being diagnosed with heart problems.

“I feel sad that I’m just a bystander now during blood donation drives and I can’t help save lives anymore,” he told reporters here yesterday.

Redzuan, who works as an administrative assistant officer at SEDC’s human resource division, said he first donated blood in 1984 through the company’s Sports Club.

Top donors: Redzuan (right) and Abdul Rahman sharing a moment of joy
“I felt very nervous but after donating a few times, I felt comfortable and looked forward to the next donation drive.

“On average, I used to donate blood three times a year. My blood type is B.

“I’m very happy that my wife and children are following my footsteps in donating blood. I hope more people will come forward to help save lives. A drop of blood can save lives,” he said.

Redzuan was one of the five SEDC employees who received awards for having donated the most accumulated blood with 36 pints.

The other recipients were Abdul Rahman Zainuddin with 38 pints, Rosli Rebi (34) , Zulkifli Sahari (31) and Patricia Punai (29).

Earlier, SEDC chairman Datuk Talib Zulpilip launched the company’s blood donation campaign jointly held with the 3rd Brigade Infantry and Malaysia Ex-Service Association Sarawak Branch.

In his speech, he called for more people to donate blood, saying that the Sarawak General Hospital’s blood bank often issued appeals for donors due to shortage during festive seasons, particularly the fasting month.

“When you donate your blood, you’re donating part of yourself to help others and this is a good deed,” he said.

About 300 people, mainly army men and about 30 SEDC employees, donated their blood.
By ZORA CHAN

No comments:

Post a Comment